Revisiting Hugo Themes :heart:
I started using Hugo in 2019 and have stuck with the same theme for my blog for the most of that time… until now.
I ended up on Blowfish mostly because the flexibility of layouts and feature set was exactly what I was looking for in a theme.
I also learned some things about Hugo content organization, changing Site params in frontmatter and a directory based config approach (compared to a single file).
In the root of a hugo site, there will 99% of the time be a
to keep markdown files, but you are not limited to only markdown files. You
can really put any file there with a valid mimetype.
Browsing the blowfish
exampleSite code, I saw that each post or article lived in a
article named directory with an
index.md file for the content and a
be shown in the “Hero Section” of the article (or in the background if that is set).
$ tree themes/blowfish/exampleSite/content/docs/
This is a departure from the way I was doing images before, which involved storing
/assets/ and then referencing the path either in the frontmatter or within
the post itself.
In all honesty, I prefer the new way of keeping a self-contained Page Bundles with all the assets it needs in one directory - so I will likely start doing that for new posts.
Setting .Site.Params in frontmatter
This is one thing that I knew was possible but I struggled for a little bit to find the exact way to override values set in params.
It turns out there is a
cascade: config key that lets you do this from any resource that has frontmatter.
docs for cascade:
For example in my
posts/_index.md, I have the following:
This way, all the content in and under
posts will have these params set. You can also
do this with individual posts, say if you want a different layout from the global config.